The mission of the Maryland State Arts Council is to encourage and invest in the advancement of the arts for Maryland citizens. Created in 1967, the 17 members serve up to two, three-year terms.
Shelley Cole Morhaim was appointed to the Maryland State Arts Council in July 2013 and became Chair in July 2016. She is a writer and filmmaker. Among her credits are the award-winning documentary The Next Industrial Revolution and the Arts Education in Maryland Schools (AEMS) film Hard Fun: Transforming American Education Through the Arts. Morhaim has served on the boards of the Baltimore Jewish Council, the Women’s Institute of Notre Dame and the Democratic Party State Central Committee. She earned her BA degree from Antioch College and JD from Boston University. Morhaim is a therapeutic music practitioner for hospice and hospital patients.
- Barbara Bershon, Vice Chair
- Joan M.G. Lyon, Secretary/Treasurer
- Carole Alexander; President, Carole R. Alexander Consulting
- Aileen Carlucci
- Alex Castro
- Anthony Cornwell; Owner, Cornwell Remodeling and Restoration
- Carla Du Pree; Author, Fiction Editor, and Literary Consultant
- Senator Richard S. Madaleno, Jr.; State Senator, 18th District Maryland; General Assembly
- Julie Spangler Madden
- Douglas Mann; Vice President of Operations and Finance, Maryland Institute College of Art
- Jack Rasmussen, Ph.D.
- Robinson S. Rowe
- Carole Trawick
- Gary Vikan
- Delegate Alonzo Washington; House of Delegates, 22nd District Maryland
- Anne Winter West
Keena Stephenson, Council Liaison
Maryland State Arts Council
175 W. Ostend St., Suite E
Baltimore, MD 21230
Council Meetings FY 2017
Listed meetings are open for public observation. Please contact MSAC prior to attending as meeting dates, times and locations are subject to change.
- September 23, 2016, 10 am -1 pm, MSAC Offices, Baltimore | Meeting Minutes
- November 18, 2016 , 9:00 am - 3 pm | Agenda | Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, 401 Museum Drive, City Park, Hagerstown, MD 21741 | Meeting Minutes
- January 20, 2017, 9 am - 5 pm, TBD
- March 17, 2017, 9:30 am - 3 pm, TBD
- June 2, 2017, 10 am -1 pm, MSAC Offices, Baltimore