The mission of the Maryland State Arts Council is to encourage and invest in the advancement of the arts for Maryland citizens. Created in 1967, the 17 members serve up to two, three-year terms.
Carol Trawick was elected Vice-Chair of the Arts Council in June of 2012, having served as a Councilor since 2011. She became Chair in 2014 and was reappointed by Governor Larry Hogan to the Council and reelected Chair in 2015. A former teacher and entrepreneur, Trawick remains engaged in a range of philanthropic causes through the Jim and Carol Trawick Foundation. Created in 2007, the foundation supports nonprofits in arts and health and human services. Its mission is to assist local health and human service and arts non-profit organizations to reach more people in need and to encourage and sustain creative activities. The Jim and Carol Trawick Foundation has awarded grants to more than 90 nonprofits in Montgomery County, and also funds the annual Trawick Prize for Contemporary Art and the Painting Awards. Read more.
- Carla Du Pree (Vice Chair)
- Shelley Morhaim (Secretary-Treasurer)
- Barbara Bershon
- Lora Bottinelli; Executive Director, Salisbury University's Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art
- Gary Vikan
- Carole Alexander; President, Carole R. Alexander Consulting
- Susie Farr
- Senator Richard S. Madaleno, Jr.; State Senator, 18th District Maryland; General Assembly
- Margaret Footner; Executive Director, Creative Alliance
- John (Jack) Rasmussen
- Julie Madden
- Alex Castro
- Anthony Cornwell; Owner, Cornwell Remodeling and Restoration
- Joan M.G. Lyon
- Doug Mann; Vice President of Operations and Finance, Maryland Institute College of Art
- Delegate Alonzo Washington; House of Delegates, 22nd District Maryland
Keena Stephenson, Council Liasion
Maryland State Arts Council
175 W. Ostend St., Suite E
Baltimore, MD 21230
Click here for meeting schedule.