The mission of the Maryland State Arts Council is to encourage and invest in the advancement of the arts for Maryland citizens. Created in 1967, the 17 members serve up to two, three-year terms.
A native of Seattle, John (Jack) Rasmussen earned his BA in Art from Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA, before moving to Washington, DC, and completing an MFA in Painting, MA in Arts Management, and MA and PhD in Anthropology at American University. He worked in the Education Department of the National Gallery of Art before becoming the Assistant Director of the Washington Project for the Arts when it opened in 1975. He left this position to open the Jack Rasmussen Gallery, one of the first commercial galleries to move to downtown Washington, and then helped launch Rockville Arts Place (now VisArts), served for ten years as the Executive Director of Maryland Art Place in Baltimore, and three years as Executive Director of di Rosa, a contemporary art museum and sculpture garden in Napa, California. Rasmussen has been Director and Curator of the American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center, Washington, DC, since it opened in 2005.
- Julie Madden, Vice Chair
- Joan M.G. Lyon, Secretary/Treasurer
- Carole Alexander; President, Carole R. Alexander Consulting
- Timothy App
- Lily Bengfort
- Barbara Bershon
- Zoe Charlton
- Jacqueline Copeland
- Anthony Cornwell; Owner, Cornwell Remodeling and Restoration
- Carla Du Pree; Author, Fiction Editor, and Literary Consultant
- Senator Richard S. Madaleno, Jr.; State Senator, 18th District Maryland; General Assembly
- B.G. Muhn
- Gary Vikan
- Delegate Alonzo Washington; House of Delegates, 22nd District Maryland
- Anne Winter West
Keena Stephenson, Council Liaison
Maryland State Arts Council
175 W. Ostend St., Suite E
Baltimore, MD 21230
Council Meetings 2018/19
Listed meetings are open for public observation. Please contact MSAC prior to attending as meeting dates, times and locations are subject to change.
- September 12, 2018, 9:30 am - 3:30 pm.Agenda. CenterStage, Baltimore, MD.
- November 14, 2018, 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. TBD.
- January 11-12, 2019, time TBD. Council Meeting & Strategic Planning Session, TBD.
- March 13, 2019, 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. TBD.
- June 12, 2019, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. MSAC Offices, Baltimore, MD.
- June 8, 2018, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Meeting Agenda. MSAC Offices, Baltimore (Annual Meeting, Last Council meeting for FY 2018)
- March 16, 2018, 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. Meeting Agenda |Meeting Minutes. St. Mary’s County (Council Meeting & Community Engagement)
- January 19, 2018, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm.Agenda | Minutes. Baltimore, MD (Council Meeting & Planning Session)
- November 17, 2017, 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. Agenda | Minutes. Salisbury, MD
- September 15, 2017, 10:00 am -1:00 pm.Agenda |Minutes. MSAC Offices, Baltimore
- June 2, 2017, 10 am - 1 pm. Agenda |Minutes. MSAC Offices, Baltimore
- March 17, 2017, 9:30 am - 3 pm.Agenda | Minutes. Delaplaine Museum, Frederick
- January 27, 2017, 9 am - 5 pm.Agenda | Minutes Make Studio, Baltimore
- November 18, 2016, 9:00 am - 3 pm.Agenda |Minutes. Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, 401 Museum Drive, City Park, Hagerstown, MD 21741
- September 23, 2016, 10 am -1 pm.Minutes. MSAC Offices, Baltimore