The LSAB was created by the legislature in 2007 to assist in maintaining Maryland’s preeminence in the life sciences industry. Comprised of 18 members, the Board includes the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Commerce, a representative designated by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) and 16 members appointed by the Governor.
Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi has served as the CEO of Emergent BioSolutions since April 2012, as president since March 2007, and as a board member since May 2009. Other roles at Emergent included COO, senior vice president of corporate affairs, secretary, vice president and general counsel. Prior to joining Emergent in 2004, Mr. Abdun-Nabi served as general counsel for IGEN International, Inc., a biotechnology company, and its successor BioVeris Corporation, from September 1999 to May 2004, and as senior vice president, legal affairs, general counsel and secretary of North American Vaccine, Inc. Mr. Abdun-Nabi received a Master of Laws in taxation from Georgetown University Law Center, a J.D. from the University of San Diego School of Law and a B.A. in political science from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- R. Michael Gill, Secretary – Maryland Department of Commerce
- Robert Rosenbaum, President and Executive Director – TEDCO
- Christopher P. Austin, M.D., Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences – U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Richard A. Bendis, President and CEO – BioHealth Innovation Inc.
- Jarrod Borkat, Head, External Collaborations, Biotech Hubs and Government Contracting – MedImmune
- Marco A. Chacon, Ph.D., Founder, CEO and President – Paragon Bioservices, Inc.
- Douglas Jon Liu, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Operations – Qiagen Sciences Inc.
- Theodore J. Olsen, President and CEO – PathSensors, Inc.
- Patrick G. O'Shea, Ph.D., Vice President and Chief Research Officer – University of Maryland
- Jay A. Perman, M.D., President – University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Wendy Perrow, MBA, President and CEO – Alba Therapeutics Corporation
- Karen L. Proudford, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Management and Director, Graves Honor Program - Morgan State University; and President, William E. Proudford Sickle Cell Fund, Inc.
- Sanjay K. Rai, Ph.D., Chief Academic Officer and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs – Montgomery College
- David W. Smith, Ph.D., Vice President, Global Business Development, Emerging Technologies – Lonza Walkersville, Inc.
- Col. Andrea Stahl, Ph.D., Director, MRMC CBRN Defense Medical Research Coordinating Office and JPC-Radiation Health Effects – U.S. Army Medical Research & Material Command
- Frank F. Weichold, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Critical Path and Regulatory Science Initiatives, Office of the Commissioner – U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Christy Wyskiel, Senior Advisor to the President – Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures
Director, Office of BioHealth Technology
Maryland Department of Commerce
401 E. Pratt Street, 7th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
There are no meetings scheduled at this time.