The LSAB was created by the legislature in 2007 to assist in maintaining Maryland’s preeminence in the life sciences industry. Comprised of 18 members, the Board includes the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Commerce, a representative designated by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) and 16 members appointed by the Governor.
Jay A. Perman, MD, became the fifth chancellor of the University System of Maryland (USM) in January 2020. Prior to this appointment, Dr. Perman, a pediatric gastroenterologist, served as president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) for nearly a decade.
As UMB president, Dr. Perman strengthened that institution's ties to the city of Baltimore, growing innovation-based economic development and spearheading programs to improve the health and well-being of UMB's closest neighbors. As chancellor, Dr. Perman has committed to advancing higher education affordability for all students in Maryland. He also plans to build on USM's reputation for educational innovation, particularly in research, economic development, and community engagement.
Dr. Perman first came to UMB in 1999 as chair of the School of Medicine's Department of Pediatrics. He left Baltimore in 2004 for the University of Kentucky College of Medicine, where he was dean and vice president for clinical affairs. Dr. Perman received a Doctor of Medicine Degree with Distinction from Northwestern University. He completed a fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology at Harvard Medical School and at the Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston.
- Kevin Anderson - Secretary, Maryland Department of Commerce
Arti Santhanam, PhD - Executive Director, Maryland Innovation Initiative, Maryland Technology Development Corporation
- Vice Chair: Bob Storey - Managing Director, The MVR Company; Managing Director, The LaunchPort™
- Trushar Agrawal – Sr. Director, Head of Manufacturing, Kite Pharma
- Richard A. Bendis - President and CEO, BioHealth Innovation Inc.
Jesse Christopher, MBA - CEO, Longeviti Neuro Solutions
Rebecca Fisher, PhD - Deputy Director, Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs, U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command
Edward E. C. Margerrison, PhD - Director, Office of Science and Engineering Laboratories, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Mark G. Mortenson, JD - CSO, Clene Nanomedicine
Deborah D. Ricker, PhD - Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Hood College
KaShauna G. Rohlehr, MBA - Director, Strategy and Business Transformation, GlaxoSmithKline
Michael Weingarten - Director, SBIR Development Center, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health
Ellington West - CEO and Co-founder, Sonavi Labs, Inc.
Christy Wyskiel - Senior Advisor to the President and Head of Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures, Johns Hopkins University
Ulyana V. Desiderio, PhD
Director, Life Sciences
Maryland Department of Commerce
401 E. Pratt Street, 17th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
- Monday, October 23, 2023 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
World Trade Center Baltimore
401 E. Pratt St., Baltimore, MD, 21202
17th Floor, Room 1746
- June 22, 2023 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Meeting Agenda
- February 1, 2023 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Meeting Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- September 14, 2022 - Noon - 2 p.m. Meeting Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- March 11, 2022, 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Meeting Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- September 24, 2021, 9 - 11 a.m. Meeting Agenda |
- June 2, 2021, 2 - 4 p.m. Meeting Agenda |
- March 1, 2021, 1 - 3 p.m. Meeting Agenda |
- November 20, 2020, 1 - 3 p.m. Meeting Agenda |
- September 9, 2020, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.Meeting Agenda. |
- May 15, 2020, 10- 11:30 a.m.Meeting Agenda |Meeting Minutes. Via Google Meet.
- June 19, 2019, 9:30 a.m.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. Rye Street Tavern, 2nd Floor, 13 Rye Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21230.
- November 30, 2018, 1 p.m.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. The University of Maryland, Saratoga Building, 220 N. Arch Street, 14th Floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
- May 15, 2018, 9 a.m.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. Maryland Department of Commerce, 17th Floor, 401 E. Pratt Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202.