The LSAB was created by the legislature in 2007 to assist in maintaining Maryland’s preeminence in the life sciences industry. Comprised of 18 members, the Board includes the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Commerce, a representative designated by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) and 16 members appointed by the Governor.
Jay A. Perman, MD, has served as president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) — Maryland’s only public health, law, and human services university — since 2010. A pediatric gastroenterologist, Dr. Perman continues to practice medicine through his weekly President’s Clinic, where he teaches team-based health care to students of medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, social work and law.
Dr. Perman first came to UMB in 1999 as chair of the School of Medicine’s Department of Pediatrics. He left Baltimore in 2004 for the University of Kentucky College of Medicine, where he was dean and vice president for clinical affairs. Dr. Perman received a Doctor of Medicine Degree with Distinction from Northwestern University. He completed a fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology at Harvard Medical School and at the Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Boston.
- Kelly M. Schulz, Secretary, Maryland Department of Commerce
- Maj. Gen. (R) Linda L. Singh, PhD, Executive Director, TEDCO
- Vice Chair: Douglas Jon Liu, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Operations – Qiagen Sciences Inc.
- Christopher P. Austin, M.D., Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences – U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Richard A. Bendis, President and CEO – BioHealth Innovation Inc.
- Jarrod Borkat, Vice President Corporate Strategy, Emergent Biosolutions
- William Hearl, Ph.D. President and CEO – Immunomic Therapeutics Inc.
- Laurie Locascio, Vice President of Research – University of Maryland College Park
- Theodore J. Olsen, President and CEO – PathSensors, Inc.
- Wendy Perrow, MBA, CEO – AsclepiX Therapeutics
- Karen L. Proudford, Ph.D., Director of Graves Honor Program, Morgan State University
- Sanjay K. Rai, Ph.D., Chief Academic Officer and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs – Montgomery College
- David W. Smith, Ph.D., Vice President, Global Business Development, Emerging Technologies – Lonza Walkersville, Inc.
- Bob Storey, Principal – The MVR Company
- Frank F. Weichold, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Critical Path and Regulatory Science Initiatives, Office of the Commissioner – U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Christy Wyskiel, Senior Advisor to the President and Head of Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures, Johns Hopkins University
Ernesto Chanona, Manager, Business and Innovation Development
Office of BioHealth and Life Sciences
Maryland Department of Commerce
401 E. Pratt Street, 15th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Check back here later to learn about upcoming dates for LSAB meetings.
- June 19, 2019, 9:30 a.m.Meeting Agenda. Rye Street Tavern, 2nd Floor, 13 Rye Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21230.
- November 30, 2018, 1:00 p.m.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. The University of Maryland, Saratoga Building, 220 N. Arch Street, 14th Floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
- May 15, 2018, 9:00 a.m.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. Maryland Department of Commerce, 17th Floor, 401 E. Pratt Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202.
- December 19, 2017, 9:30 a.m. Meeting via conference call.Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. 7th floor Conference Room, Maryland Department of Commerce, 401 E Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD, 21202.
- October 23, 2017, 9:30 a.m – 12:00 p.m Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. University of Maryland, Baltimore BioPark, 801 West Baltimore Street, Invent and Advance Room, Baltimore, MD 21202
- April 10, 2017, 12:00 - 3:30 p.m. Meeting Minutes | Meeting Agenda. Johns Hopkins FastForward, Suite 110, 1812 Ashland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205.
- December 6, 2016, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR), University of Maryland, Room A101, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
- October 31, 2016, 12:45 - 4:15 p.m. Meeting Minutes |Meeting Agenda. Montgomery College - Germantown Campus, Bioscience Education Building Room 151, Germantown, MD 20876.