The Maryland Defense Diversification Assistance Program provides training and services to help eligible defense-dependent companies diversify their businesses.
Department of Defense (DoD) procurement trends fluctuate and are unpredictable. In the event of overall DoD budget cuts, the cancellation of a major weapons platform, or the loss of a contract or grant, a defense contractor can insulate themselves by diversifying its revenue and customer base.
Prepares contractors for entry into new commercial markets, domestically and internationally.
- Highly customized, FREE training opportunities in export assistance and skill building to sell to commercial markets for qualified participants.
- Subsidized consulting services of up to $10,000 for qualified participants.
- At least 35% of annual revenue from DoD contracts
- Good standing with the state of Maryland
- More than one employee
- Located and operating in Maryland for at least one year
*Company must meet all eligibility requirements to apply.
Assessment is a simple process that will determine a company's readiness to diversify. The company's industry sector and diversification interest will determine the selection of the assessment team. Available assessment teams may include:
- U.S. Export Assistance Center, Baltimore
- Maryland Commerce employees
- Manufacturing Extension Partnership representatives
Program Training and Consultant Services
Training is available for companies that have been assessed and recommended for one or both of the following seminars, which will be held twice in the spring and fall of 2018.
Seminar Series 1: Export Management Bootcamp Seminar
- Intensive workshop will equip defense firms with the knowledge they need to successfully export their products. Topics include market analysis, strategies for international distribution, terms of sale, logistics and export compliance.
- Facilitated by UMD Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), Maryland Commerce Office of International Investment and Trade, U.S. Commercial Service, Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Securities, and the U.S. State Department.
Seminar Series 2: Industry Innovation Executive Training Skill Building Seminar
- Workshop series will provide leadership and business training to CEOs of small defense firms interested in entering the commercial market.
- Training provided by the UMD Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Mentorship & Coaching Assistance:
- Direct assistance for qualified assessed companies provided by Commerce Office of International Investment and Trade and other service providers, including Maryland Manufacturing Expansion Partnership, and Maryland TEDCO.
- Supportive diversification services will be valued at up to $10,000 of federal funding (per company), depending on need and cost of services identified.
Eligible and participating companies will be required to contribute a 10% match to the amount of federal funding received for a total of up to $11,000 per company towards services.
Admission is open through the end of September 2018.
Click here to apply.
For more information, please email
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS