The Maryland Defense Diversification Assistance Program provides training and services to help eligible defense-dependent companies diversify their businesses.
Department of Defense (DoD) procurement trends fluctuate and are unpredictable. In the event of overall DoD budget cuts, the cancellation of a major weapons platform, or the loss of a contract or grant, a defense contractor can insulate themselves by diversifying its revenue and customer base.
Prepares contractors for entry into new commercial markets, domestically and internationally.
- Highly customized, FREE training opportunities in export assistance and skill building to sell to commercial markets for qualified participants.
- Subsidized consulting services of up to $10,000 for qualified participants.
- At least 35% of annual revenue from DoD contracts
- Good standing with the state of Maryland
- More than one employee
- Located and operating in Maryland for at least one year
*Company must meet all eligibility requirements to apply.
Assessment is a simple process that will determine a company's readiness to diversify. The company's industry sector and diversification interest will determine the selection of the assessment team. Available assessment teams may include:
- U.S. Export Assistance Center, Baltimore
- Maryland Commerce employees
- Manufacturing Extension Partnership representatives
Program Training and Consultant Services
Training is available for companies that have been assessed and recommended for one or both of the following seminars, which will be held twice in the spring and fall of 2018.
Seminar Series: Export Management Bootcamp Seminar
- Intensive workshop will equip defense firms with the knowledge they need to successfully export their products. Topics include market analysis, strategies for international distribution, terms of sale, logistics and export compliance.
- This session will be led by Gary Cohen, Clinical Professor of Logistics, Business, and Public Policy at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. Training also includes:
- Speaker from the US Commercial Service Bureau of Industries & Securities (BIS) for Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance specialist
- Overview of state and federal export assistance services
- Session on how to sell to foreign governments, NATO and the UN
- Session on government financing resources
Seminar Series: Industry Innovation Executive Training Seminar
- Workshop series will provide leadership and business training to small defense firms interested in entering the commercial market.
- Session topics include:
- Leading Changes in Strategic Direction
- Getting the Right People on Venture Oriented Teams
- Using Financial, Managerial and Tax Accounting Information for Strategic Decision Making
- Financial Forecasting
- Marketing: Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning
- Fundamentals of Contract Law and Joint Venture Agreements
- Training provided by expert faculty members from the University of Maryland Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Mentorship & Coaching Assistance:
- Direct assistance for qualified assessed companies provided by Maryland/DC District Export Council and other service providers, including Maryland Manufacturing Expansion Partnership and Maryland TEDCO.
- Supportive diversification services will be valued at up to $10,000 of federal funding (per company), depending on need and cost of services identified.
Eligible and participating companies will be required to contribute a 10% match to the amount of federal funding received for a total of up to $11,000 per company towards services.
Admission is open through the end of September 2018.
Click here to apply.
For more information, please email
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS