The ExportMD Program helps to offset some of the costs of marketing internationally for Maryland's small and mid-sized companies.
Maryland companies that receive an ExportMD Award are eligible for up to $5,000 in reimbursement for expenses associated with an international marketing project. The program is funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Eligible expenses are any expenses related to an international marketing initiative including trade show fees, airfare, translation of brochures and web site development.
Companies that do not qualify for the ExportMD program can still receive other forms of assistance through the Maryland Office of International Investment and Trade (OIIT). Please contact the office to learn what resources may be available to your firm.
To qualify, a company:
- Must have business operations in Maryland and be in good standing with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation;
- Must be in existence for at least one year;
- Must not have received an ExportMD Award in the last 2 years;
- Is a "small business" as defined by the SBA**; and
- Is planning an international business initiative to commence and conclude within six months of the application deadline — at the very latest.
**Companies must not exceed the employee number or annual sales figure thresholds as set by the U.S. Small Business Administration (as determined by an ExportMD applicant's North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) industry code, and including any affiliated companies, such as "parent" businesses and subsidiaries — of either).
Contact OIIT at 410-767-0685 and tell us about your international marketing plan. You will be connected with a regional manager who will provide you with additional details about the program and the application form, and will guide you through the application process.
Commerce accepts ExportMD grant applications from qualifying companies on a monthly basis. Applications are due on the 1st of each month.
Maryland Office of International Investment and Trade
Maryland Department of Commerce