Maryland is a thriving location for space exploration, satellite technology and research, design and manufacturing of UAVs and robotics. The industry includes Department of Defense related activities such as biodefense, cybersecurity, avionics, informatics and ordnance and weapons testing. Under the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, Maryland added thousands of jobs, primarily at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Fort Meade, and the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Maryland's 8,580 aerospace and defense businesses annually generate $32.82 billion in economic activity and secure $8.42 billion in federal contracts.
For more information, contact Roger Venezia at (410) 767-6394.
Featured Company: Lockheed Martin
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., global security and aerospace company. Lockheed Martin employs more than 9,200 in Maryland and about 115,000 people worldwide. The company principally researches, designs and manufactures advanced technology systems, products and services.
- Employment (2014) - 98,730 private sector jobs (142,640 including public sector)
- Leading subsectors:
- Computer systems design and related services - 64,600 jobs
- National security - 35,100 jobs
- R&D in physical, engineering and life sciences - 22,900 jobs
- Business establishments (2014) - 8,580
- Total wages (2014) -$15.25 billion
- Average salary (2014) - $106,890
- Gross state product (2013) - $32.82 billion
- Federal procurement (FY2014) - $8.42 billion
Top 10 Employers